Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
May 15th, 2024, 7:42am
News: Welcome to the Cabin! If you want to register send me an e-mail. you can link to my e-mail under the welcome page.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
I'm Not Coming Home (Read 3553 times)
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Re: I'm Not Coming Home
Reply #50 - Dec 30th, 2018, 10:52pm

Quote from Jeanette on Dec 30th, 2018, 1:19pm:
Quote from Fernando on Dec 29th, 2018, 4:19pm:
If any Time Traveller goes back in time to stop an event, he changes the course of history and can even make the situation worst.

That is what I was thinking. Is it possible to create an apocalyptic world by stopping a nuclear war?

That may depend on the mindset of the people. I'll use a random opinion to illustrate this: "These tree-hugging aliens have gone too far. They planed everything from the beginning to get us to use trains and buses instead of a car, it's harder to get a new appliance or TV because they are always refurbishing old ones, they say use less electricity in the summer and now they are interfering in the middle east."

Is it possible to create an apocalyptic world by stopping a nuclear war? Yes. It depends on the underpinnings of what events follow. Economic collapse (like in Brazil with its Uber Inflation or in various African and Central American nations; thus they use what tourist-collected American Dollar they can get their hands on as their money is literally worthless) is one such possible set of events though it has to last for years. Political Imperial to the point of absolute dictatorship, like in current China and Saudi Arabia; these will reach a point where the people will no longer take it and rebel against their political leaders.

Stagnation is a major problem for many companies and governments.

Stagnation is a problem. How do the Texas Spirits see things? Their interest is in protecting the environment and one way of doing so is "get it right the first time." They are not replacing old equipment with new because what they are using is "as good as it is going to get."

As we have discussed, there have to be exceptions such as (as you pointed out) the Texas Spirits can't change the history of the microcomputer industry. So, as we discussed, they build an expansion card with a 32-Bit 6502 and 2GB of RAM that will fit an expansion slot of an Apple II. Presto! We now Google, shop Amazon and watch YouTube on an Apple II.

In various technologies, I find little improvement on various things. Lets take cars as an example, car companies have been boasting that car today are more fuel efficient that those of generations past. Bullshit. A 1984 Honda CRX series (sub series DX line) had a fuel mileage of 55MPG on the highway and 35+ in the city. The 1980s VW Rabbit Diesel has the same or even higher results. A 70s/80s VW bug has the same MPG back then as cars do today. If anything, they improved on the safety of these vehicles, but they also made them for lazy drivers to drive. Driving requires one to concentrate on the road 24/7 of driving time. But auto navigation, lane placement software, computerized driver assistance, Interactive GPS, takes away from the concentration of driving. People have become complacent drivers. If they were to drive a 70s/80s automobile in the same fashion they do today's cars, there will be more accidents on the road.

People are already doing this with the Raspberry Pi on an Apple II Slot and accessing the R-Pi through the Apple. (see: http://schmenk.is-a-geek.com/wordpress/?p=167 ) The problem is that you will need 2 monitors or one that can display Picture with-in picture. And software and tech advancements are already having Apples, Commodores Ataris and even Sinclairs (Spectrums, not the ZX) to access the Web and webpages in a limited sense, but accessing multi-media files, that is doable.

My (current idiot bothersome) neighbor has taught me a lot about air conditioning and washing machines, in that Old Tech is 1000x better than New Tech. New tech is not repairable, Old Tech is. A lot of times a device breaks down when it is not taken cared off. Like vacuuming out the Lint area of a Dryer, washing out the drum of a washing machine, a little grease or oil on the bearings, and the machine comes back to life. Sometimes a switch or capacitor fails after years of use, and they just need to be replaced, at a price of under $5. But the new computerized machines, if they die - that is it. The computer fails to turn on and recognize the system to be repaired, forcing you to go out and buy a new one to replace it.

How is that $100 gold piece evaluated in other areas?

Remember, the Texas Spirits had no control over the weight, purity and stated value of this international currency.

That can be a problem if they do not recognize a Spirit Gold coin for its stamped value but take it for its gold value which can be higher or lower than what the stamped value says.

The Spirits locked themselves into a closed market with dealing with Charlton.

Charlton is a mixed economy. Though the Texas Spirits own the power company and railroad, private enterprise is encouraged in almost every other sector. If a private company wants to make furniture, for example, they would fit in perfectly.

On the other hand, the Texas Spirits do encourage people to go green. They don't do that through laws that go against what they believe. Instead, they help people to save money. For example, why buy a new pencil sharpener when a person can bring in their old pencil sharpener and get the blad replaced for less?

Going green is not the 'argument' here, in fact it is one of the few things that puts them in a good light. The problem is - outside of Charlton and through out the lay of the land, as stated early on in the forum, there are loads of equipment graveyards: buses, trains, planes, office equipment, etc. Even if the device can not be rebuilt, its parts can be recycled for others. Raw material from unrepairable parts can be reclaimed.

But if they lock themselves into a market, where everyone has a car and they still continue to make cars, who is going to buy the overstock of cars?

And Gadget would be so proud: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit_of_Butts%27_Farm

Even if the Spirits are having great strides in technology with computers and airplanes, if they close the market to only service themselves, that can lead to economic collapse in just a few years as others around them see economic growth. But it is on them who their customers are and who is not.

I'm confused. How is the Texas Spirits only servicing themselves? The Charlton Railroad goes to many places, though not everywhere, throughout the North American Continent. Zero Point Energy has many power plants across North America. Again, not everywhere. Electric Airlines flies overseas. The Texas Spirits has retail stores in the railroad towns and, in a few cases, away from the railroad.

Jeanette Isabelle

See above.

In short, the Spirits need to broaden their market horizons to the rest of the nation. not too long ago, Fernando and Jeanette tries to sell surgical supplies to Centerville's hospital, but the doctors refuse if it is Spirit-made technology. Fernando took his old Civil War and WWI Surgeons kits and had them replicated by other means and simply gave it to the doctors. This will force them to use them when other supplies run out. And once they start using them and find nothing wrong with them, they will be wanting more. The only supply chain left is the Spirits' replicated version of Fernando surgical kits, which is nothing more but knives and medical saws, which is more than what the doctors have at the hospital.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeanette
Experianced

Reply #51 - Dec 31st, 2018, 12:00pm

Quote from Fernando on Dec 30th, 2018, 10:52pm:
That can be a problem if they do not recognize a Spirit Gold coin for its stamped value but take it for its gold value which can be higher or lower than what the stamped value says.

There is no Spirit gold coin.

The problem is - outside of Charlton and through out the lay of the land, as stated early on in the forum, there are loads of equipment graveyards: buses, trains, planes, office equipment, etc.

Though the Texas Spirits have ZPM powered buses, there is a need for diesel buses in some situations and therefore they have restored old buses. The Texas Spirits build their own locomotives and passenger trains; they do restore trains for other railroads.

We had long conversations on what the Texas Spirits have done regarding the Apple II platform.

But if they lock themselves into a market, where everyone has a car and they still continue to make cars, who is going to buy the overstock of cars?

The Texas Spirits don't make cars. They make replacement parts and refills. They refurbish cars, televisions and appliances. If it keeps something out of the landfill, encourages people to drive less, reduce energy consumption or in any other way save on resources, that is what they are involved in.

In short, the Spirits need to broaden their market horizons to the rest of the nation. not too long ago, Fernando and Jeanette tries to sell surgical supplies to Centerville's hospital, but the doctors refuse if it is Spirit-made technology. Fernando took his old Civil War and WWI Surgeons kits and had them replicated by other means and simply gave it to the doctors. This will force them to use them when other supplies run out. And once they start using them and find nothing wrong with them, they will be wanting more. The only supply chain left is the Spirits' replicated version of Fernando surgical kits, which is nothing more but knives and medical saws, which is more than what the doctors have at the hospital.

That's been the problem all along. Except for in Charlton, Texas, the railroad towns and a few other isolated areas, people don't trust the Texas Spirits. As a result, they, not the Texas Spirits, are the ones suffering because they are the ones living in a Mad Max world while their counterparts have to "rough it" if they watch TV on a refurbished television or use a refrigerator made in the 1950s.

Jeanette Isabelle

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeanette
Experianced

Reply #52 - Jan 1st, 2019, 11:20am

Quote from Jeanette on Nov 28th, 2018, 10:56am:
The current volume of the two folders is 11 5/8" x 9 1/2" x 3/8" and weighs 15 1/2 oz.

I did more editing [revove threads from the e-mail conversations] and therefore can combine the contents of the two folders down to one. The dimensions are 11 5/8 x 9 5/16 x 5/16" and weighs 13 1/2 ounces.

Later, I'll see if I can remove even more without affecting the e-mail conversations.

Jeanette Isabelle

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2019, 5:14pm by Jeanette »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Reply #53 - Jan 1st, 2019, 5:34pm

Quote from Jeanette on Dec 31st, 2018, 12:00pm:

There is no Spirit gold coin.

The problem is - outside of Charlton and through out the lay of the land, as stated early on in the forum, there are loads of equipment graveyards: buses, trains, planes, office equipment, etc.

Though the Texas Spirits have ZPM powered buses, there is a need for diesel buses in some situations and therefore they have restored old buses. The Texas Spirits build their own locomotives and passenger trains; they do restore trains for other railroads.

We had long conversations on what the Texas Spirits have done regarding the Apple II platform.

The Texas Spirits don't make cars. They make replacement parts and refills. They refurbish cars, televisions and appliances. If it keeps something out of the landfill, encourages people to drive less, reduce energy consumption or in any other way save on resources, that is what they are involved in.

Why must you take an example statement and turn it into something it is not?

Spirit Coin = what ever currency they use in Charlton, either in gold or silver; as I stated, the coin and its stamped value may not be accepted but the gold it is made from is.

If you are using ZPM powered buses, you would not need diesel powered buses. The discussion of long ago about the train and railway - the ZPM would not work powering the tracks to power the train, but will work if the ZPM is powering the train itself. But that causes the issue that every train must need their own ZPM to power it.

We discussed what the "Spirits did with the 6502 and the Apple II systems" but I am just providing proof that such version of the technology exists using the Raspberry Pi. In fact, it is still on the market, Hondo just bought one to try it out. Its only flaw is that you will need 2 monitors or a monitor with Picture-in-picture capability.

The point of the "Spirits making cars" is simple that you are over looking. It is the same problem I have with computer consulting, maintenance and repairs - I do such quality work that I do not get many repeat customers because their system are running as they should be. Similarly, the Spirits are going to have or are having a similar situation - their repair/restoration work of vehicles are that the car owner does not need to see them for years to come when parts being to wear down again. If you run a business where your repeat customers only come every several years, you are not going to be in business for too long. Word of mouth of your work and reputation will get you more customers but you will reach a point where you will run out of customers and need to wait years for your repeat customers to come back. Many mechanics  (and other service job workers) will do a 1/2 ass job on their repairs so you can come back to them so they can remain in business. This is cold, vicious and scrupulous (and even illegal in some areas) but they do it out of survival.

Quote from Jeanette on Dec 31st, 2018, 12:00pm:

That's been the problem all along. Except for in Charlton, Texas, the railroad towns and a few other isolated areas, people don't trust the Texas Spirits. As a result, they, not the Texas Spirits, are the ones suffering because they are the ones living in a Mad Max world while their counterparts have to "rough it" if they watch TV on a refurbished television or use a refrigerator made in the 1950s.

Jeanette Isabelle

Who says they are suffering? Life may not be easy for them but they are willing to put in the work to get things done. Not only is a Mad Max World, but it is also a Cherry 2000 world (see: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092746/ ) Charlton maybe more like before the Chaos and Happening,  but settlements around are making ends meet. But no place is a Utopia, and one has to put in for themselves to get something out of it. And some places you have to fight more for what you got than others. Those who are suffering are either victims or criminals looking for an easy way to get things. Victims Fernando is willing to help out to get them on their feet again; criminals need to go find another option as far as he is concerned.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeanette
Experianced

Reply #54 - Jan 1st, 2019, 9:32pm

Quote from Fernando on Jan 1st, 2019, 5:34pm:
Why must you take an example statement and turn it into something it is not?

Spirit Coin = what ever currency they use in Charlton, either in gold or silver; as I stated, the coin and its stamped value may not be accepted but the gold it is made from is.

I thought you were talking about the gold and silver coins used internationally.

If you are using ZPM powered buses, you would not need diesel powered buses.

They have both: diesel and electric (ZPM powered). The electric buses have to be special-built to protect the ZPM. Because of what's involved, it may not be worth it have an electric bus for every situation.

The discussion of long ago about the train and railway - the ZPM would not work powering the tracks to power the train, but will work if the ZPM is powering the train itself. But that causes the issue that every train must need their own ZPM to power it.

I made a few changes since I wrote this; I'm quoting this to show you that each passenger train has a ZPM.

Quote from Jeanette on Jul 29th, 2016, 10:15pm:
Moro shows Jeanette an image of a train. It has three sections and has the drag coefficient of a high speed train. "Though it has the drag coefficient of a high speed train, it's designed for frequent stops, not high speed. It uses a standard gauge rail and runs on a zero point module, the same power source of our ships. Because it runs on a zero point module, we needed to increase safety and security. These trains are air tight. Safety and security systems include a dome shield, artificial gravity, inertial dampeners, sensors, a crash avoidance system, lockout device and a quarantine lockdown system just to name a few. Some systems work best if the train is no more than three sections. The middle section is where we have the power source and controls for all of safety and security systems. For security reasons only authorized personnel are allowed in the middle section and that is enforced with a force field. We have a person in the middle section, trained to handle a number of emergency situations, manning the safety and security systems. This is in addition to the train operator. The middle section has seats for off duty personnel. Those seats can be easily removed to transport small amounts of cargo. The passengers are in the front and back sections. As with other all-electric trains, train operator controls are on both ends of the train. The factory to build them has to be in Charlton to ensure security. We've been using them a while on the shorter lines and they work great; they are designed to run on a double-track railway. The next time the time line is altered, we will replace the light rail trains with these."

The point of the "Spirits making cars" is simple that you are over looking. It is the same problem I have with computer consulting, maintenance and repairs - I do such quality work that I do not get many repeat customers because their system are running as they should be. Similarly, the Spirits are going to have or are having a similar situation - their repair/restoration work of vehicles are that the car owner does not need to see them for years to come when parts being to wear down again. If you run a business where your repeat customers only come every several years, you are not going to be in business for too long. Word of mouth of your work and reputation will get you more customers but you will reach a point where you will run out of customers and need to wait years for your repeat customers to come back. Many mechanics  (and other service job workers) will do a 1/2 ass job on their repairs so you can come back to them so they can remain in business. This is cold, vicious and scrupulous (and even illegal in some areas) but they do it out of survival.

I don't think I am overlooking your point. The Texas Spirits have to use resources every time to build or even refurbish something. They want to keep the resources they consume to a minimal. Take the automotive industry for example. The only time they want to see repeat customers is for routine maintenance like changing the oil, regap the spark plugs (if needed) and keeping tires at their ideal pressure.

It is for this reason they make light bulbs that last a hundred years (or more) and nylon stockings that are indestructible. Why do they need a fat bank account? They get enough money selling clean energy and day passes on the Charlton Railroad.

Let me emphasize that these guys are tree huggers. They want to do everything they know to do to protect Mother Earth. I have ideas I haven't mentioned yet such as selling milk in reusable bottles and operating a cloth diaper service.

Jeanette Isabelle

View Profile   IP Logged
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Reply #55 - Jan 1st, 2019, 11:17pm

Since much of the things discussed have been cleared up, I have deleted them from the quote. The last sticking point it not really a sticking point either. The sticking point was that of those outside of Charlton were "suffering" compared to those in Charlton. (See below)

Quote from Jeanette on Jan 1st, 2019, 9:32pm:
The point of the "Spirits making cars" is simple that you are over looking. It is the same problem I have with computer consulting, maintenance and repairs - I do such quality work that I do not get many repeat customers because their system are running as they should be. Similarly, the Spirits are going to have or are having a similar situation - their repair/restoration work of vehicles are that the car owner does not need to see them for years to come when parts being to wear down again. If you run a business where your repeat customers only come every several years, you are not going to be in business for too long. Word of mouth of your work and reputation will get you more customers but you will reach a point where you will run out of customers and need to wait years for your repeat customers to come back. Many mechanics (and other service job workers) will do a 1/2 ass job on their repairs so you can come back to them so they can remain in business. This is cold, vicious and scrupulous (and even illegal in some areas) but they do it out of survival.

I don't think I am overlooking your point. The Texas Spirits have to use resources every time to build or even refurbish something. They want to keep the resources they consume to a minimal. Take the automotive industry for example. The only time they want to see repeat customers is for routine maintenance like changing the oil, regap the spark plugs (if needed) and keeping tires at their ideal pressure.

It is for this reason they make light bulbs that last a hundred years (or more) and nylon stockings that are indestructible. Why do they need a fat bank account? They get enough money selling clean energy and day passes on the Charlton Railroad.

Let me emphasize that these guys are tree huggers. They want to do everything they know to do to protect Mother Earth. I have ideas I haven't mentioned yet such as selling milk in reusable bottles and operating a cloth diaper service.

Jeanette Isabelle

I figure this of those outside of the Charlton because this is happening in areas of the world like India, South America and Africa. Places like Tongo (Africa) is one of the world's e-waste dump site. But despite the issues of living on a garbage mound, they persevere. Like this guy, he collected parts from the mound, bought from the local "land owner" for pennies on the pound and got the parts to make his own 3D Printer.

This video is old, and I pointed out in the past that you should watch it as this program (Global 3000) is a global news service that has stories like this (the last one about a year ago was about Russians and car repairs on the cheap bartering - a fix for a loaf of bread.) Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8tS8Ots4RQ

The point is, if this is happening here in real life, the RPG has to reflect RL no matter how far back they were thrown technology wise, as they will bounce back with what they have and find.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6