Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
May 14th, 2024, 8:49pm
News: Welcome to the Cabin! If you want to register send me an e-mail. you can link to my e-mail under the welcome page.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
I'm Not Coming Home (Read 3548 times)
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Re: I'm Not Coming Home
Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2018, 3:26pm

Prepare for the worse, pray for the best. That is the best you can do.

One can 1) include the community in their prepper work and stash or 2) work on one's own. I opted for 3) Do 1 & 2. In that, everyone on my floor has generator in the very least; everyone has about 3 months of food - 500+ pounds of food in their closets. And everyone is armed in some form or another despite what the NYC Gun laws says. Finally, many of us can fish and have a rod and tackle to fish with - with the East River the same distance as my larger food stash in the storage facility, with the Hudson River being 2 miles in the opposite direction - doable but maybe dangerous in a SHTF situation. But in no way all this prepper work is going to save anyone of us if we do not cooperate, people panic and some of them turn greedy and predatory on the rest of us. One has to build that relationship and continue to do so.  

In short, well... Summer '17, I had a meeting to try to expand this to encompass the block as much as I can. Even had the two local gangs here - The Bloods and The Crips. One of them said out loud for the rest of us to hear - "If the SHTF and everything goes crazy - you are the first people we would go after because you have the goods we want." I told them, "Come and try. If you can make it past the threshold of my apartment entrance, you are welcomed to come take what you want." They were warned to stay away by the rest of the group.

I really do not care for the "Rapture" as many would call it. According to definition, humanity has had several Raptures since the 1700s and even before. And every single time Humanity has faced its worst and yet managed to rebuild. Like Grandpa of the tv show "The Munsters" had said it, "Rome, London, New York, Chicago, San Fransisco, Dresden... You seen one city burn, you seen them all!" There is a lot of truth to that; the cities burned, many were killed, factors more managed to evacuate, the city burns,  people come back when it is over, people rebuild. The issue is to hang around long enough to be part of the recovery effort. How that is done is on you. Jesus wants to come to see Humanity at its worst, then let him come.

View Profile   IP Logged
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2018, 7:08pm

Quote from Jeanette on Nov 9th, 2018, 9:45pm:
I don't think you are paranoid at all. You presented a realistic situation. However, I don't believe I have my head in Never Land when I say this: What you showed is not the only possibility. There are other possibilities.

Can we get back to the subject of this thread?

Quote from Fernando on Nov 9th, 2018, 8:21pm:
Question, have you seen this link? No? Read it: http://www.hondosackett.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1541536197/0#0

Yes, I have read it.

Jeanette Isabelle

What is the subject? I gave my answers as I think fits the situation because leaving when or before a SHTF situation is too late. read all the news about the snowstorm we had yesterday (11/15; news on 11/16) as my proof on that...

What happened yesterday (at the time of this writing) was a commuters' logistical nightmare - all traffic jammed, bridges and tunnels  shut down due to accidents and nothing moved unless it was on foot - and it was a SIMPLE Snow Storm! Children who got on buses fro school to go home at 3PM did not end up going home until 3AM! Bus and train stations packed with millions and no service until hours later with road and tracks blocked, no one got home until after midnight at best.

If this were a SHTF Situation, consider them all dead. No way this city was able to move all those people as needed, and people are now pointing fingers of blame to what happened. But it this was a city wide evacuation - no way is it going to happen, and I know it would not happen. Everybody would be dead. Plain and simple. For you to be in a mess like that - you would be stuck with the rest of them. No way was it going to happen cleanly. And this is the proof of what if it were to happen - total system failure on all fronts.

This is why I say it is better to Bug In if possible and wait for all this to clear before Bugging Out. Bugging In is not always the best option, and I know that. But when all other options begin to fail, best to hunker down with what one has at home and wait out the storm.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeanette
Experianced

Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2018, 8:58am

Quote from Fernando on Nov 16th, 2018, 7:08pm:
What is the subject?

The following is the subject:

Quote from Jeanette on Nov 1st, 2018, 12:54pm:
Arguably the biggest challenge in preparing to leave your home permanently, be it a war or the collapse of the economy, is deciding what you will leave behind. I'm perhaps the youngest member; at thirty-two, I have my share of memories in the form of tangible items. How do we choose which memories to leave behind?

Some of my memories are in the form of hand tools. That is an easy decision to make because tools serve a practical purpose.

In the end, it comes down to the individual. There are complexities in the decision-making process that a person can't quickly put into words. How does one decide?

At first, this was about comfort items; they are too bulky and too many. When I realized I need to put my focus on preserve my history in the form of tangible things, that helped. Still, there was a lot to pack. Our discussion in the thread "Time Capsule" helped further. I went from items that will give you the facts about my history to the things that tell a story. That story (in the form of a journal, E-mail, drawings and a letter) are in two folders . . . all of which are small enough to fit in carry-on luggage or check-in. I'm not sure why my story does not go beyond the E-mail Aiesha wrote to me on August 11, 2009; there it is. Perhaps there is a record, somewhere, that picks up where Aiesha's E-mail ends.

Quote from Jeanette on Nov 8th, 2018, 8:52pm:
As I scanned all the e-mail threads I have in my inbox (there is a lot) I found an e-mail conversation from April 12, 2012, that helps to tie up a loose end. Nevertheless, I now have a nearly three-year gap from the previous e-mail, sent on August 11, 2009, to April 12, 2012.

I'm still looking for records, in any form, that tells my story.

The thread immediately goes off topic with the mid-life crisis metaphor, then electronics (which I never mentioned), the Astro Pi and finally pictures of trailers.

After addressing your off-topic comments, I tried to go back to the subject of this thread:

Quote from Jeanette on Nov 9th, 2018, 5:05pm:
I know about making digital backups. They do not take up a lot of space. If we are serious about "what if" then we need to consider what we access may come down to hard copies. One piece of paper takes up an insignificant amount of space. Multiply that by 75 and it begins to take up space. At this point, it is not a lot and if I leave it at that, I'm fine. A person's life can't be condensed to seventy-five pages. There's nothing magical about seventy-five pages, that is what I currently have, organized into two folders.

I have a copy of Arik's journal, I have printed e-mail conversations I have had with Warren Ehn, Bill Holbrook, you and Aiesha, I have drawings that are e-mail attachments and I have that letter from Bill. The e-mail conversations cover a wide array of topics. Notable examples are time travel, my perceived ability to see the past, Danielle, your everyday life, Orion's Rift Generators, Michio Kaku and Sajuuk. I need ideas on what else to include that take up an insignificant amount of space and does not require a device to access.

If we have to leave to start over in another country, I will bring my birth certificate, passport, other forms of I.D. and my diploma. Other things I'll bring are a few hand tools and anything else I still have, will need and I'm able to carry (clothes, medication, first aid, etc.).

Jeanette Isabelle

View Profile   IP Logged
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Reply #13 - Nov 17th, 2018, 4:41pm

Quote from Jeanette on Nov 17th, 2018, 8:58am:
Quote from Fernando on Nov 16th, 2018, 7:08pm:
What is the subject?

The following is the subject:

Quote from Jeanette on Nov 1st, 2018, 12:54pm:
Arguably the biggest challenge in preparing to leave your home permanently, be it a war or the collapse of the economy, is deciding what you will leave behind. I'm perhaps the youngest member; at thirty-two, I have my share of memories in the form of tangible items. How do we choose which memories to leave behind?

Some of my memories are in the form of hand tools. That is an easy decision to make because tools serve a practical purpose.

In the end, it comes down to the individual. There are complexities in the decision-making process that a person can't quickly put into words. How does one decide?

At first, this was about comfort items; they are too bulky and too many. When I realized I need to put my focus on preserve my history in the form of tangible things, that helped. Still, there was a lot to pack. Our discussion in the thread "Time Capsule" helped further. I went from items that will give you the facts about my history to the things that tell a story. That story (in the form of a journal, E-mail, drawings and a letter) are in two folders . . . all of which are small enough to fit in carry-on luggage or check-in. I'm not sure why my story does not go beyond the E-mail Aiesha wrote to me on August 11, 2009; there it is. Perhaps there is a record, somewhere, that picks up where Aiesha's E-mail ends.

Quote from Jeanette on Nov 8th, 2018, 8:52pm:
As I scanned all the e-mail threads I have in my inbox (there is a lot) I found an e-mail conversation from April 12, 2012, that helps to tie up a loose end. Nevertheless, I now have a nearly three-year gap from the previous e-mail, sent on August 11, 2009, to April 12, 2012.

I'm still looking for records, in any form, that tells my story.

The thread immediately goes off topic with the mid-life crisis metaphor, then electronics (which I never mentioned), the Astro Pi and finally pictures of trailers.

After addressing your off-topic comments, I tried to go back to the subject of this thread:

Quote from Jeanette on Nov 9th, 2018, 5:05pm:
I know about making digital backups. They do not take up a lot of space. If we are serious about "what if" then we need to consider what we access may come down to hard copies. One piece of paper takes up an insignificant amount of space. Multiply that by 75 and it begins to take up space. At this point, it is not a lot and if I leave it at that, I'm fine. A person's life can't be condensed to seventy-five pages. There's nothing magical about seventy-five pages, that is what I currently have, organized into two folders.

I have a copy of Arik's journal, I have printed e-mail conversations I have had with Warren Ehn, Bill Holbrook, you and Aiesha, I have drawings that are e-mail attachments and I have that letter from Bill. The e-mail conversations cover a wide array of topics. Notable examples are time travel, my perceived ability to see the past, Danielle, your everyday life, Orion's Rift Generators, Michio Kaku and Sajuuk. I need ideas on what else to include that take up an insignificant amount of space and does not require a device to access.

If we have to leave to start over in another country, I will bring my birth certificate, passport, other forms of I.D. and my diploma. Other things I'll bring are a few hand tools and anything else I still have, will need and I'm able to carry (clothes, medication, first aid, etc.).

Jeanette Isabelle

Here you have a major problem, which is why I went "off-topic."

First, what do you have in terms of transporation: Truck/Car, motorcycle, bicycle, bare feet, with/without camper/trailer? This should be easy to figure out because the larger your transportation option, the more you can carry.

To that which I listed, I will say this - when the SHTF, you only carry what you can use to survive with. All those things - email, art, files, all those things used for remembering is to be trashed because all that will not provide food, a place to sleep, shelter against the weather, so on and so forth. If you survive long enough - they will be thrown out between a week and 30 days because of that.

I spent looking over the GsB prequals I wrote and have had Rachel post them up on her account because I did not want those idiots in the cafe complain to Fanfiction.net and have the account deleted. But in the prequels, Tammy had to travel Italy to rescue Bink. As per GsB, we all know that she fails. the question is why and the prequals explain why. But in order for Tammy to travel to Italy, she can only take with her the minimum of things she could carry. All she could carry had to fit in an Army Fold-up top top dufle bag, 3ft tall, 2ft across (diameter), and a maximum of 100 pounds carrying weight. It may sound like a lot but it is not. That is enough for a a couple weeks worth of clothing, important documents in a folder, some basic rescue equipment and that's it. She would spend almost a year in Italy, adding to her things in the duffle bag.

GsB Prequal 0 - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6774237/1/Gunslinger-Bink-0-The-Gadget-Infinity-Pre quel
GsB Prequal 1 - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8647113/1/To-Live-and-Die-in-Italia
Tammy's duffle bag - https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/fox-outdoor-two-strap-duffel-bag?a =1582114

But Tammy's story is a mission with a desired goal but with many unknowns and many problems. She thought it would have been short and easy, but it was not. No mattered how she planned for it, there was more she needed because it was not enough.

Want to carry all that stuff of media and printed material? You'd be dead in a few days. Like I said - it does not bring in food, shelter, etc. It is very little real world value though it has a lot of sentimental value to you, and that is the problem. If you are going out to a family relative's plave for a visit, this might be good. But for a Survival Issue in which yu would need things in order to survive, this is worthless. The papers, except for the documents you carry for identity, are only good for starting fires with, and that is a choice you will have to make. It is all junk, trash, worthless to your survival. That you need to understand.

Your age has nothing to do with your survival. What you have in terms of supplies, tools and skills are. All this "momentos of memory" adds nothing to this and verymuch subtracts from it because it adds unneccessary bulk and weight. Think about it - if you were in the forest fires of California where the towns/small cities of Camp Fire and Paradise were destroyed, if you managed to get out of there with your bag of things - and need to get foos and shelter - you think anyone is going to care about Arik's Journal or Bill Holbrook's digitally reproduced artwork? No they are not. They will look at you and see what you have to offer - jewlry, clothing, you... yes, sex is included in that list. In your mind you would say no, you would not, but in the end you will do what you think you must to get what you need to make it to the next day. And you will repeat those actions again and again as needed until it is over.

To survive any emergency is water, shelter, food, warmth - in that order. Carrying those documents, unless you are going to use them to burn them, does nothing for that list.

If you had a car or a truck, with or without a camper trailer, maybe you can have a bit more to carry, and maybe have those documents if you want. But again, why? They are worthless in any and every way.

This is not a matter of going to another country - that option is not a possibility in a SHTF situation. Even if you had your own boat or plane, that is not possible. That could only happen after all is said and done and recovery is almost done, not before, not during. It is unfortunate that you are seeking the impossible in trying to get things done your way, but in a SHTF situation, trying to get things done your way, especially when you are not in control of the situation is only going to get you killed or worse.

Like I said in my last post, New York City was paralyzed. If this was an emergency situation, all those out on the road would have been killed off. No one can tell me otherwise and this is not the only time I have seen the city's services fail and leaving everyone to fend for themselves. We are just lucky that it was not a SHTF situation. No Trains, No Buses, No Cars, No Trucks, No emergency services - we are very lucky that in all this only 1 person was killed, a poor lady who trie to cross the train tracks in NJ and her car got stuck on the tracks and she hit by the on coming train. That is 1 death out of possible 12-million city area wide. In s SHTF situation - add everyone on the road and train/bus stations to that list.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/3979301-storm-left-city-tri-state-paralyzed-a
nd-frustrated/
https://nypost.com/2018/11/15/outrage-after-a-few-inches-of-snow-brings-nyc-to-a
-halt/

One 32 year old girl in all that carying a large back pack of her things and all those documents would not get far in such a situation and chances are would end up freezing in the cold. They would do nothing for you.

This is why I stated everything out of topic because it was in topic. If you wanted those things, they would have to be electronic and the devices that access them to be small enough to be carried without hinderance. The Astro Pi can do that, just like a tablet computer like an iPad, or a small netbook like the Lenovo S10e. And the reason why I posted up all those camper and things is to show you the size options you would need if you were to go out on your own. There are even small camper/shelters for bicycles if you were to go that route.
https://www.extrahyperactive.com/search/label/bicycle%20micro%20camper
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IhOoCGl9vwM/WtCxnEnmp-I/AAAAAAAArRE/ZJwzz4SMgQ84QQohT
UQSYtuKmXMgReNsACLcBGAs/s400/bicycle-camper-trailer-with-oversize-tent-cot-super
b-bicycle-sleeper-trailer-2-540-x-644.jpg
https://www.livinginashoebox.com/this-foldable-bicycle-camper-lets-you-live-comf ortable-on-the-road/

Any of these options with a bicycle will at least extend your survivability out there against the elements. You would still need water and food.

The problem is, you are not looking into that. You are looking for options to carry such things that would be usless and at worst detrimental to your survival in a SHTF situation. Again, no one is going to care about Arik's Journal, even if it from the future. No one is going to care about an artist's drawing that has been created in the digital realm. None of this is useful for one's survival. What you have in terms of tools and supplies and you can do is. As Sybox said in Star Trek V - "What value is any of this? It is just a field full of holes!"

That is why getting off topic, I am still on topic. If you had a truck with a camper/trailer and stocked with supplies, then I can see you take those documents with you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeanette
Experianced

Reply #14 - Nov 17th, 2018, 7:36pm

Quote from Fernando on Nov 17th, 2018, 4:41pm:

First, what do you have in terms of transporation: Truck/Car, motorcycle, bicycle, bare feet, with/without camper/trailer? This should be easy to figure out because the larger your transportation option, the more you can carry.

In other words, you wasted time because you decided to go off topic instead of asking questions.

IF we do bug out, we will be crossing the Atlantic Ocean. I can only think of two ways to go, by plane or ship. If we travel by plane, there will be less we can take with us.

To that which I listed, I will say this - when the SHTF, you only carry what you can use to survive with. All those things - email, art, files, all those things used for remembering is to be trashed because all that will not provide food, a place to sleep, shelter against the weather, so on and so forth. If you survive long enough - they will be thrown out between a week and 30 days because of that.

You also need the will to survive which was discussed in Equipped To Survive:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=5814&Number= 134470#Post134470

Edit: The following link does a better job of getting into the will to survive.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=218678&pag e=1

Suppose I had to go on without my family. I could not unless there is a purpose. One such purpose is to protect my family's history/memory.

This is not a matter of going to another country - that option is not a possibility in a SHTF situation. Even if you had your own boat or plane, that is not possible. That could only happen after all is said and done and recovery is almost done, not before, not during. It is unfortunate that you are seeking the impossible in trying to get things done your way, but in a SHTF situation, trying to get things done your way, especially when you are not in control of the situation is only going to get you killed or worse.

You don't think it's possible to get the warning to leave. Nevertheless, that probability is real.

This is why I stated everything out of topic because it was in topic. If you wanted those things, they would have to be electronic and the devices that access them to be small enough to be carried without hinderance. The Astro Pi can do that, just like a tablet computer like an iPad, or a small netbook like the Lenovo S10e. And the reason why I posted up all those camper and things is to show you the size options you would need if you were to go out on your own.

Those two folders, together, are smaller than a computer. How can I possibly save space and weight by bringing a laptop instead? Moreover, those things you talked about need electricity.

Again, no one is going to care about Arik's Journal, even if it from the future.

The probability of those two folders being transported to the past is not real. To make a long story short I, nevertheless, consider that in a "what if" to help decide what stays and what goes.

Jeanette Isabelle

« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2018, 9:13pm by Jeanette »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Reply #15 - Nov 19th, 2018, 3:00am

Quote from Jeanette on Nov 17th, 2018, 7:36pm:

In other words, you wasted time because you decided to go off topic instead of asking questions.

So I wasted time because I would not ask questions? I'm not here to ask questions unless I am absolutely unsure as to what is going on. I will answer questions and make my own statements, which if you do not agree with them, then that is on you. I'm pointing out what works, what does not work and what may or may not work.

IF we do bug out, we will be crossing the Atlantic Ocean. I can only think of two ways to go, by plane or ship. If we travel by plane, there will be less we can take with us.

What plane, what boat? During and after airports and seaports would be closed, even if you have your own private vessel to fly or float away in. FEMA and other government agencies including the military will take these over for the duration of their stay.

If you take Florida and Hurricane Michael - they took over the air and sea ports for almost 2 weeks. If you take Puerto Rico and Hurricane Maria - over 6 months, and in some places almost 9 months. NYC and surrounding areas during last week 1 day snow storm - 2 1/2 days. So until these services are restored to normal, you are stuck where you are.

You also need the will to survive which was discussed in Equipped To Survive:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=5814&Number= 134470#Post134470

Edit: The following link does a better job of getting into the will to survive.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=218678&pag e=1

Suppose I had to go on without my family. I could not unless there is a purpose. One such purpose is to protect my family's history/memory.

Those who survive the longest are those who will not take bs from anyone else around them in a SHTF situation.  

The will to live makes the will to surive and that comes from within. You want to give up and let the situation kill you, go ahead, nice knowing you. If you want to survive and continue on to see this through to its end, you better find it in your heart to fight on even though you maybe beaten to the near point of death. Let me remind you that in 9/13 I was in the hospital from some idiot's attempt to kill the job supervisor with a chemical bomb, and while I was in the hospital bed pissed off and angered to no end, doctors were making bets if I would even surivie the night. Guess what - I lived and a lot of them lost theose bets they made against me. When I left for hom 2 weeks later, I was told that the chemical bomb I faced was strong wnough to kill several people, so how did I survive? That was my will to live that brought out my will to survive.

Unless you are going to go out and get married and have children, what good are these memories if you can not pass them down tot he next generation? You die before you can procreate, those memories die with you. They become wasted memories. And no one is going to care enough to try to piece something you had together after you ar gone.

You don't think it's possible to get the warning to leave. Nevertheless, that probability is real.

Lets take your state: Florida. In every hurricane tracked that hit it, they had as much a week's or more warning, but the order to evacuate comes in 48 - 72 hours before. During this time - airports shut down, trains are sent on their last runs, and boats are secured to the harbor. The only means to get out is by motor vehicle and even then it is a mad dash to the border and out of state, highways jam up, things go to a crawl. In what usually take 3 hours to drive will now take over 8 hours.

Unless you are leaving on a "Possible Warning" a week or two before, you are stuck where you are. You Bug In, hope you are prepared for it.

This is why I stated everything out of topic because it was in topic. If you wanted those things, they would have to be electronic and the devices that access them to be small enough to be carried without hinderance. The Astro Pi can do that, just like a tablet computer like an iPad, or a small netbook like the Lenovo S10e. And the reason why I posted up all those camper and things is to show you the size options you would need if you were to go out on your own.

Those two folders, together, are smaller than a computer. How can I possibly save space and weight by bringing a laptop instead? Moreover, those things you talked about need electricity.

7 - 10in tablet is smaller than the folder, and the Lenovo S10e laptop is about the same size as a 10in tablet with an added keyboard. Electricity? That is why you carry extra batteries; and if you are bugging in, you should have a generator. If you manage to bug out in a plane or a boat, they have power you can tap into to recharge batteries and use your devices.

Funny - same tablet as mine, it came with a leather case and tiny keyboard, this is just the tablet itself. But this is more than enough to get one's digital footprint walking again after a SHTF situation. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaroid-PTAB735-4-GB-Tablet-7in-Wireless-Android-Dual- core-Dual-Cameras/263703680683?hash=item3d65f6d6ab:g:hwkAAOSwpoJbA30e

Search for all the 7in tablets on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR8.TR C1.A0.H0.X7in+android+tablet.TRS1&_nkw=7in+android+tablet&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=7in+tablet

As you stated - these things need electricity - so does the hand held walkie talkie ham radios I would carry in a SHTF situation. I threw that in because for me it is needed and it is my responsibility to get power for them in order to use them.I also have a 6in drone I can use to do recon with, and it too needs power.  And like I said, if you are bugging in, you should have a generator - gas, solar, wind, what ever.

Again, no one is going to care about Arik's Journal, even if it from the future.

The probability of those two folders being transported to the past is not real. To make a long story short I, nevertheless, consider that in a "what if" to help decide what stays and what goes.

Jeanette Isabelle

In that line of thought, chances are you will end up planning and end up doing/taking nothing but the clothes on your back. Look at the forest fires in California - several small town destroyed, 6000 people missing, 75+ found dead in their homes or in their burnt out shell of a car. They had time to plan and practice? Do not know, I'm not them. But they had 1 day's warning and decided to either bug in or stay as long as possible beofre bugging out, only not to make it. SHTF happens with little to no warning. right preparation and proper planing, and one can survive this. 1 wrong decision, even with this preparing and planning, and everyone's dead. It is that simple.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeanette
Experianced

Reply #16 - Nov 21st, 2018, 12:35pm

Quote from Fernando on Nov 19th, 2018, 3:00am:
So I wasted time because I would not ask questions? I'm not here to ask questions unless I am absolutely unsure as to what is going on. I will answer questions and make my own statements, which if you do not agree with them, then that is on you. I'm pointing out what works, what does not work and what may or may not work.

You are making assumptions despite the fact I established what's going on. Meanwhile, I have to fight to keep this on topic.

What plane, what boat? During and after airports and seaports would be closed, even if you have your own private vessel to fly or float away in. FEMA and other government agencies including the military will take these over for the duration of their stay.

We are not leaving during the big event. We are leaving before.

If you take Florida and Hurricane Michael - they took over the air and sea ports for almost 2 weeks. If you take Puerto Rico and Hurricane Maria - over 6 months, and in some places almost 9 months. NYC and surrounding areas during last week 1 day snow storm - 2 1/2 days. So until these services are restored to normal, you are stuck where you are.

The subject is not a hurricane of a snowstorm. I already established it would be something big like a war.

The will to live makes the will to surive and that comes from within. You want to give up and let the situation kill you, go ahead, nice knowing you. If you want to survive and continue on to see this through to its end, you better find it in your heart to fight on even though you maybe beaten to the near point of death. Let me remind you that in 9/13 I was in the hospital from some idiot's attempt to kill the job supervisor with a chemical bomb, and while I was in the hospital bed pissed off and angered to no end, doctors were making bets if I would even surivie the night. Guess what - I lived and a lot of them lost theose bets they made against me. When I left for hom 2 weeks later, I was told that the chemical bomb I faced was strong wnough to kill several people, so how did I survive? That was my will to live that brought out my will to survive.

The will to survive is a big deal and often discussed in the survival forum. It makes the difference between life and death.

Unless you are going to go out and get married and have children, what good are these memories if you can not pass them down tot he next generation? You die before you can procreate, those memories die with you. They become wasted memories. And no one is going to care enough to try to piece something you had together after you ar gone.

Let me deal with that.

Lets take your state: Florida. In every hurricane tracked that hit it, they had as much a week's or more warning, but the order to evacuate comes in 48 - 72 hours before. During this time - airports shut down, trains are sent on their last runs, and boats are secured to the harbor. The only means to get out is by motor vehicle and even then it is a mad dash to the border and out of state, highways jam up, things go to a crawl. In what usually take 3 hours to drive will now take over 8 hours.

Again, the subject is not a hurricane.

7 - 10in tablet is smaller than the folder, and the Lenovo S10e laptop is about the same size as a 10in tablet with an added keyboard. Electricity? That is why you carry extra batteries;

When you include a keyboard and batteries, space and weight can add up. When I say "folder," I'm talking about those two-pocket paper folders with brads.

https://www.amazon.com/2-Pocket-Paper-Folders-Fasteners-Color/dp/B001ESOK9Y

The thickness and weight can vary. I'm considering thinning the second folder a bit and maybe combine the two folders — either way, that is far less space and weight than your suggestion.

Jeanette Isabelle

View Profile   IP Logged
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Reply #17 - Nov 23rd, 2018, 2:14am

Quote from Jeanette on Nov 21st, 2018, 12:35pm:

You are making assumptions despite the fact I established what's going on. Meanwhile, I have to fight to keep this on topic.

I have to make assumptions because you made this subject too vague and unclear. You flip flop on your emotions, mental state and well being, actions to take, equipment to have. But none of these as per your description will help you and will become detrimental to your well-being. That is my point I'm trying to show you.

We are not leaving during the big event. We are leaving before.

Based on what can happen, you would have little warning if any and most of the time none. I'll explain later further down.

The subject is not a hurricane of a snowstorm. I already established it would be something big like a war.

I use 'hurricane' because it is the most likely scenario you would go through living where you are.

If you want to talk about war, then so be it. We are at an age where WWIII would only last 90 minutes, if that. We live in the age of MAD - Mutually Assured Destruction; since the 1950s.This is why we had a "Cold War" lasting for so long with the Soviets, and the Soviet Union no longer exists. The Russian Alliance has been trying to rebuild the Soviet Union but "it is not very effective" as some Americanized Anime would say on TV.

90 minutes is all most have if it were to be a war, and then "The sun will rise from the west" for many. Unless you have a fly on the wall in the white house or in other chambers of office of power in other nations, you will have no warning.

One saving grace is that the USA would never be invaded, like the Swizz. Thanks to our 2nd amendment, both Japan (during WWII) and the Soviet Union (during the cold war) both said, "Invasion of the USA would be impossible because their populace is armed to the teeth. There would be an armed citizen behind every blade of grass there.

But Muslim Extremists have tried to kill as many Americans as possible. Islam might be the 3rd largest religion in the world, the extremist arm is just a few thousand individuals. They will attack up to a point. They do not want the USA to do to them what the USSR did... Hezbollah kidnapped a few Soviet Diplomats and killed one of them as a show of force of what they would do. Spen Daz (secret Military arm of the Soviet intelligence) kidnapped Hezbollah's leader's son, killed him and sent the penis, right hand with a ring on it, and the head to the leader. Next day the remaining soviet diplomats were released. The extremists knows that they can not push too hard or they will end up in another Crusade Wars, and as history serves, they lost in the Crusades. This time Islam as a whole will be wiped off the face of the earth.

If Civil War was to break out, it would have a long time ago. So that will not be happening.

The will to survive is a big deal and often discussed in the survival forum. It makes the difference between life and death.

Without the Will to Live, there is no Will to Survive.

One thing I will say here is this.
"Beware of the old man who retired from a job where most men die young."

Then look at me and think about it for a second. I should be dead, I am not. People tried to eliminate me, they - by failure of their actions - were the ones that was eliminated. I do not think that my will to survive is in question. But if you want to survive - you better have a 180 turn-about in attitude. You do not question your ability to survive, you just do it.

Let me deal with that.

I think the captain of the Titanic say that about the iceberg.

Again, the subject is not a hurricane.

I already explained it above.

7 - 10in tablet is smaller than the folder, and the Lenovo S10e laptop is about the same size as a 10in tablet with an added keyboard. Electricity? That is why you carry extra batteries;

When you include a keyboard and batteries, space and weight can add up. When I say "folder," I'm talking about those two-pocket paper folders with brads.

https://www.amazon.com/2-Pocket-Paper-Folders-Fasteners-Color/dp/B001ESOK9Y

The thickness and weight can vary. I'm considering thinning the second folder a bit and maybe combine the two folders — either way, that is far less space and weight than your suggestion.

Jeanette Isabelle

https://tinkersphere.com/raspberry-pi-accessories/977-mini-wireless-keyboard-and
-mouse-for-raspberry-pi.html
https://tinkersphere.com/raspberry-pi-accessories/324-mini-wireless-keyboard-mou
se-for-raspberry-pi.html

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeanette
Experianced

Reply #18 - Nov 25th, 2018, 5:02pm

So I wasted time because I would not ask questions? I'm not here to ask questions unless I am absolutely unsure as to what is going on.

Quote from Fernando on Nov 23rd, 2018, 2:14am:
I have to make assumptions because you made this subject too vague and unclear.

Which is it? Are you sure of what's going on or have I made this subject too vague and unclear?

You flip flop on your emotions, mental state and well being, actions to take, equipment to have. But none of these as per your description will help you and will become detrimental to your well-being. That is my point I'm trying to show you.

In the opening post, I established how I got to that point. Then on, when I was not addressing your off-topic comments, I stayed the course.

Based on what can happen, you would have little warning if any and most of the time none. I'll explain later further down.

There is always a warning. Most people either do not understand the writing on the wall or they ignore it.

I use 'hurricane' because it is the most likely scenario you would go through living where you are.

The subject is not a hurricane.

If you want to talk about war, then so be it. We are at an age where WWIII would only last 90 minutes, if that. We live in the age of MAD - Mutually Assured Destruction; since the 1950s.This is why we had a "Cold War" lasting for so long with the Soviets, and the Soviet Union no longer exists. The Russian Alliance has been trying to rebuild the Soviet Union but "it is not very effective" as some Americanized Anime would say on TV.

90 minutes is all most have if it were to be a war, and then "The sun will rise from the west" for many. Unless you have a fly on the wall in the white house or in other chambers of office of power in other nations, you will have no warning.

Again, there is always a warning. Most people either do not understand the writing on the wall or they ignore it.

One saving grace is that the USA would never be invaded, like the Swizz. Thanks to our 2nd amendment, both Japan (during WWII) and the Soviet Union (during the cold war) both said, "Invasion of the USA would be impossible because their populace is armed to the teeth. There would be an armed citizen behind every blade of grass there.

You just established in the above paragraph how the USA could get invaded.

Then look at me and think about it for a second. I should be dead, I am not. People tried to eliminate me, they - by failure of their actions - were the ones that was eliminated. I do not think that my will to survive is in question. But if you want to survive - you better have a 180 turn-about in attitude. You do not question your ability to survive, you just do it.

You do understand.

There has to be a reason/drive/motive to survive. Cuck Norland in Castaway is a perfect illustration. He adopted a new lifestyle to survive on a deserted island for four years but, when he was so close to getting rescued, he gave up when he lost Wilson.

You forgot the space and weight of the batteries. My point remains. The weight and volume needed to access your suggestion add up. Mine takes up two paper folders, one if I go lean.

Jeanette Isabelle

View Profile   IP Logged
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Reply #19 - Nov 27th, 2018, 8:00pm

Quote from Jeanette on Nov 25th, 2018, 5:02pm:
So I wasted time because I would not ask questions? I'm not here to ask questions unless I am absolutely unsure as to what is going on.

I have to make assumptions because you made this subject too vague and unclear.

Which is it? Are you sure of what's going on or have I made this subject too vague and unclear?

I'm having both.

You flip flop on your emotions, mental state and well being, actions to take, equipment to have. But none of these as per your description will help you and will become detrimental to your well-being. That is my point I'm trying to show you.

In the opening post, I established how I got to that point. Then on, when I was not addressing your off-topic comments, I stayed the course.

There is always a warning. Most people either do not understand the writing on the wall or they ignore it.

See below.

The subject is not a hurricane.

Again, there is always a warning. Most people either do not understand the writing on the wall or they ignore it.

There will be no invasion, atomic warheads will rain from the skies and what warning will we have? 90minutes. 90minutes for one to get away from ground zero and be 250 miles away. Not possible. Now, if you have a underground bomb shelter, like those built from 1950's to 1980's, you have a chance if you can get there in time and have food and water for 3 weeks minimum.  

You just established in the above paragraph how the USA could get invaded.

Being pounded upon with nuclear warheads is not an invasion. It is destruction of what there is that makes the USA as The USA. We did the same thing to Germany during WWII, or have you not heard about "The Burning of Dresden?"  Osaka, Tokyo and Hiroshima (before it was nuked) also burned. Not one soldier stepped onto those cities' soil as a prelude to an invasion.

That is the next war to come. Boots on the soil is not an option against the USA.

You do understand.

There has to be a reason/drive/motive to survive. Cuck Norland in Castaway is a perfect illustration. He adopted a new lifestyle to survive on a deserted island for four years but, when he was so close to getting rescued, he gave up when he lost Wilson.

Love of self and Love of life. That's more than enough reason for me.

You forgot the space and weight of the batteries. My point remains. The weight and volume needed to access your suggestion add up. Mine takes up two paper folders, one if I go lean.

Jeanette Isabelle

2 AA Batteries; rechargeable if you can get them, and a small charger? This, if you were a smoker, is smaller than a pack of cigarettes. One of those keyboards is slightly larger than a video game controller, the other is smaller than the size as a Universal TV/Cable/DVD/etc. remote control.

Challenge: Put yourself through a day/night/day/night routine and see how far you actually get with what you have. Include possible dangers you might end up in through no fault of your own and how you will deal with that.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6