Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
May 17th, 2024, 3:57am
News: Welcome to the Cabin! If you want to register send me an e-mail. you can link to my e-mail under the welcome page.

Pages: 1
The Fastest Intel Multi Core CPU? (Read 623 times)
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

The Fastest Intel Multi Core CPU?
Oct 28th, 2015, 11:33am

With added circuitry and some specialized programming, one can get more than one CPU into a system's motherboard and speed things up in terms of processing power while still maintaining a low CPU Clock Speed. It's been done with the S-100 C\PM systems before computers as we know them became popular. There were options for Apple, Atari, Commodore, TRS-80 (and other C\PM System) and many other systems - 8 and 16 bit CPUs. This includes the IBM PC.

So for years, many systems with more than one CPU had the CPUs as separate chips (and at times on separate cpu boards). Very expensive "super" systems could have as many as 16 CPUs, expandable to 32, 64 and even 128 or 256 CPUs. But these "super" systems took up a lot of room and a lot of electrical power to run.

Though not the first, Intel began experimenting with putting two or more CPUs (cores) on a single chip. This can be seen in some of their older products like the first Gen Xeon CPUs; if you can remove the metal plate on the chip, you will fine two distinct silicone dies on the chip with wires leading to them both and some wires connecting together. This saved space, energy and worked faster than two separate CPUs on the board. But it generated a lot of heat. It would not be too long that Intel decided to put the two CPU core into one silicone chip die. The second generation Xeon chips were of this kind, and from this there were vast improvements to the system they were on.

Thus Intel began designing multi-core chips. The first to be sold as a 'normal PC System" was the Pentium D which used 2 Pentium 4s together. To sell as many as they could, they made some of their Pentium Ds pin compatible with the Pentium 4 so one could swap out the chip as an upgrade. Though the Pentium 4s could be unofficially clocked at over 4GHz (by experiments done by hardware hackers), Intel released the Pentium D to run at over 3.8GHz (compared to the "official" 2.6GHz on the Pentium 4). The problem with this is was that the Pentium D ran very hot and needed a lot of cooling hardware to keep it from over heating.

(At the same time they released the Celeron Version of the Pentium D, known as the Celeron D; but people and companies still referred them as Celerons, complete with its unfair negative reputation. Intel still kept creating the Multi-core Celerons parallel to the Multi-core Pentiums. Like before with the single core CPUs, the Centrino versions of these CPUs were the same as the Celeron with the added radio built into the chip for wireless communications.)

But the Pentium Ds were just 2 Pentium 4 put together as one, so each CPU on the Pentium D had its own cache equal to the Pentium 4.

Intel then released the Core Duo CPU - very similar to the Pentium D but with improvements to the buffering, a faster and larger cache and smaller die that generated less heat. But they also slowed it down to 2.8GHz as a maximum speed (though hardware hackers have ramped it up to 4GHz in some experiments). This kept the Core Dup to run cool while being a bit faster than the Pentium D at the same clock speed. But the two CPUs shared the cache instead each one having a separate cache, forcing one CPU to wait for the other in some programming situations, which made it slower than the Pentium D at times.

At the same time they created the Core Quad, basically a Core Core CPU but with 4 CPUs.

To solve this, Intel released the Core 2 Duo, which is a Core Duo but without the the cache sharing; each CPU had its own cache. This vastly improved the Core Duo's processing ability. Along with the Core 2 Quad, Intel sold it under several configurations, including ones that were swappable with the Pentium 4s (only if the Pentium 4 system had a fast data bus to handle the Core Duo's fast data bus). In the least one can upgrade a Pentium D with a Core Duo and Core 2 Duo CPUs in most cases if their socket pins matched. And the Core Quad / Core 2 Quads can replace the Core Duo / Core 2 Duo CPUs, with some doing the same upgrades with the Pentium Ds and Pentium 4s

At this point Intel released CPUs as alpha-numeric code and not as names; like the T1800.

Then the iSeries were next for the public; in the i3, i5, and i7. The i7 is a quad core CPU while the i3 and i5 are dual cores. There were several improvements made to the iSeries from the Core Duo/Quad series like a faster databus, larger caches.

Thing is this - under the same conditions and clock speed, which is the faster CPU? And at their fastest "officially rated" speed, which is the fastest?

View Profile   IP Logged
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Re: The Fastest Intel Multi Core CPU?
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2015, 11:57am

Found:

With the same GHz Speed, The Pentium D was the slowest under most situations. But there were times where the Pentium D beaten the Core Duo  CPU because the Core Duo CPU had to wait for its Cache sharing to complete.

The Core 2 Duo had beaten the Core Duo hands down, and beaten the Pentium D because the Core 2 Duo has a faster data bus. But the Core Quad beaten the Core 2 Duo; making one think that a Core Duo to Core Quad would be a better upgrade option than the Core Duo to Core 2 Duo upgrade.

The lines blur when comparing the Core 2 Duo with the i3. The i3 has a much faster data bus and much larger cache. So for large intensive data processing that uses the cache a lot, the i3 beats the Core 2 Duo hands down. But for general computing like general office work, the Core 2 Duo beats the i3. The Core 2 Quad beats both i3 and i5 CPUs under the same conditions but here you are comparing 2 CPUs (in the i3 and i5) against 4 CPUs (in the Core 2 Quad).

So far the i7 stands on its own; but the Core 2 Quad is no slouch either. It's like the old argument of which machine is faster - a 700MHz PC or a 900MHz PC when everything else is the same (data bus and I/O speeds)? The answer would be that they are too closely matched for normal office work to make a difference but under heavy data processing loads, the 900MHz PC beats the 700MHz though the average user would not physically notice it. So figuratively what takes a minute to do on the Core 2 Quad, takes 45 seconds on the i7; when everything else is the same (same data bus and I/O speeds).

But one of the issues here is cooling hardware. One can literally heat their home with a Pentium D system when running at its fastest speeds. The iSeries still requires cooling hardware but not as large as the Pentium D. And the Core Quads/Core 2 Quads also need a large cooling system when compared to the Core Duos/Core 2 Duos. Thus upgrading the CPUs from one to another, one also has to upgrade the cooling to that CPU as well.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hondo I. Sackett
YaBB Administrator
Behind you!

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2015, 12:00pm

great info!

Well the cowboy, like the red man, you had to leave your land
You can't raise your stock and plant your crop in the gumbo and the sand
Greed disguised as progress has put us to the test
They won't be glad until we're gone from our home out in the west
It's sad to see those good old days replaced with greed and doubt
Soon we'll leave the country, the campfire has gone out
Bid 'em all adieu, you can't turn the world about
The cowboy left the country, the campfire has gone out
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2015, 10:18pm

Now, lets add some fuel to the fire. Found:

When running at the CPU's rated "Official Speed" things get quirky. The fastest of these CPUs is the Pentium D running at over 4.2GHz. But running it this hard and fast makes it run hot.  The question is, is it the fastest?

There are problems with the Pentium D, it is 2 separate CPUs on a die, with a physcial space between them if about .5mm. .5mm does not sound like much, but it is. The two CPUs are connected together by wires and added circuitry bumps on the die. At this speed of 4+GHz one can think - "WOW! That Is Fast!" But at this speed, the laws of Physics comes into play.

The speed of light is 185,929.397 miles per second. But at 1-billionth of a second or at 1 GHz, that distance shrinks to about 5 inches. Electricity travels at half the speed of light, thus it takes 10 inches to travel within a a billionth of a second. This is as large as most mother boards. Circuitry slows this down even further and when you go past a certain speed, you being to lose valuable time.

Thus this .5mm space between the two CPUs in the Pentium D becomes a problem at these high clock speeds as the distance grows as the time shrinks. Clock cycles get wasted and the CPU is left waiting for the signal to get to it.

In the next series of CPUs, Intel made them together with no space between them. This speed things up by a lot. But because of this, the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo CPUs are larger chips on the die. They faced what I call Levinson's Problem.  

In the early 90s CPU makers ended up with a problem - at certain clock frequencies, the chip would vibrate on the die and then shatter after a while. This is why for a long time CPUs never went above 50MHz. My friend and mentor, Dr. Levinson of Rutger's U. asked me about this, and I stated, "Yes, chips do vibrate on the frequency that is pumped into it." and I gave him a demonstration of it. Being a professor of mathematics and in the field of Topology (2/3/4/... dimensional mathematics and graphics) he thought about it. And then with my help and influence he came up with the solution based on the behavior of a wave rippling through a solid - have the wave echo back so it cancels out the next coming wave. Since then CPUs shot off from 50MHz to 100, 200 and all the way to where it now in the GHz range. But he stated that the next problem will come when the speed of electricity and the size of the chip becomes an issue. This was 1992. We are there now.

Unlike the Pentium D, the Duo Core and Duo 2 Cores are large enough to face this problem. Being fused together as 1 CPU rescues the Core Duo chips with the issue of space/time but they face the problem of vibrating themselves apart at high GHz ranges - Levinson's problem. The Pentium III also had this problem, and Intel's solution then was to back down the clock speed on the CPU. Thus there are no official Pentium III faster than 1.6GHz though they can run faster than 2.25GHz. They did the same thing with the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo - officially rating them for no faster than 2.8GHz. Anything faster than that and they will not recognize the warrantee, and they know the pattern the chip will shatter for a given over-clocked speed.

So here, a Pentium D running over 3.5GHz will beat a Core Duo/Core 2 Duo running at 2.8GHz. The only saving grace here is that the Core Duo/Core 2 Duo has a faster data bus speed, this information from the rest of the computer will get to the Core Duo/Core 2 Duo than it will to the Pentium D. This becomes a race where the chips are faster in one area than another. In truth, in this respect they are about even, though the Pentium D is running faster. And the Pentium D running faster runs hotter so it will require more cooling hardware.

Until recently, the iSeries (i3, i5, and i7) were also speed limited to 2.8GHz. So between the Core Duo/Core 2 Duo, they run about the same speed. But being on a smaller smaller and with larger caches, the iSeries beats the Core Duo/Core 2 Duo CPUs. Only recently they are pushing the i5 and i7 into the 3GHz range, making them unbeatable. But currently, laptops are either iSeries or Core/Core 2 series no faster than 2.16GHz, and Desktops up to 2.8GHz. So which one to get?

The problem here is the Core Quad/ Core 2 Quad CPUs. Running at the same speed, they beat the i3 and i5 CPUs. Against the i7, the Core 2 Quad was just a bit slower. The iSeries saving grace is that they have a faster data bus speed and this is where they beat the Core Duo/Core 2 Duo series. But in a system where the data bus speed is the same between the two CPUs, it is barely noticeable.

Intel's mistake is making most of these chips socket compatible with each other. In theory one can take an i7 CPU and slap into a Pentium D mother board. It wont work because of conflicting data bus speeds, but it will for the Core 2 Duo with the same data bus speed. The same with the Core Duo/Core 2 Duo with the Pentium D if the data bus speeds are the same. And the Core Quad/Core 2 Quads with fit into either board as well as long as the data bus speed matches.

There are socket specific CPUs Intel made, but for some reason they decided to give the public a chance to upgrade with some of those CPUs with the same socket across the CPU generations from the Pentium D to the I Series.

What about the single core Pentium 4, which these multi-core CPUs are based on? The Pentium 4 was pushed officially 4.25GHz as well, making it no slouch for basic PC office work. And they are pin/socket compatible with some of the Pentium Ds, so an upgrade here is possible. But compared to the other CPUs Intel makes, besides the Core/ Core 2 series and iSeries, there are several with 4 and 8 core CPUs. They are mostly used in server environments and not for the general public. And these other chips are not Pin/Socket compatible to the those released to the PC using public either.

But again, in upgrading the CPUs in these personal systems, you need to upgrade the cooling hardware.

One area where people are running into is the Mac Mini Apple Computer. The 2005 version uses the Core Duo, and the 2008 series uses the Core 2 Duo, but many out there swap out the CPU as a cheap upgrade. Then they end up with a Mac Mini that runs hotter than before. More so if they swap out the Core Duo with a Core 2 Quad CPU. The Mac Mini is too small for such an upgrade unless you take the heatsink from the '08 Mac Mini and put it into the '05 Mac Mini. I have one of those cheaply upgraded '05 Mac Minis. It runs very hot so I do not run it often or for long. I'll use my powerbooks or my other un-upgraded '05 Mac Mini.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hondo I. Sackett
YaBB Administrator
Behind you!

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2015, 4:14pm

all awesome info but I have one question. How do these stack up against the AMD processors?  
I have a three core cpu with the phenom and had a dual core laptop with an A6 and my little sis has one with the A8.

Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2015, 7:39pm

Oddly enough, the older AMDs beat the Intels. 1) Larger Cache and 2) CPU Cores are connected together as 1 core. With the iSeries, the AMD are tied with Intel if the Core Count is the same but AMD has CPUs with higher number cores for the public while Intel only has them for Server Systems only.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hondo I. Sackett
YaBB Administrator
Behind you!

Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2015, 8:51pm

ok. that answers my question. thaniks!

Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2015, 10:03pm

There's an 8-core AMD out there for PCs but you will never see that in an Intel PC! Not yet.

And your 3 core AMD beats nearly all the dual cores Intel makes.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hondo I. Sackett
YaBB Administrator
Behind you!

Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2015, 11:36pm

nice! want one of those! not much of a gamer but I bet they make a great gaming PC

Pages: 1