Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
May 17th, 2024, 5:25am
News: Welcome to the Cabin! If you want to register send me an e-mail. you can link to my e-mail under the welcome page.

Pages: 1
Overclocking the Intel Atom Processor. (Read 3674 times)
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Overclocking the Intel Atom Processor.
Sep 10th, 2016, 11:16pm

Most Intel PCs and Laptops are over clocked by swapping out the CPU because the clock circuitry is in the CPU itself. So unless the CPU is on a socket and not soldered to the board, this should be simple fix. Like on the Mac Mini with the Core Single/Duo Intel series, swapping out the CPU with a Core 2 Duo (7200, 7400 or 7600) will upgrade the system to true 64bit Dual Core CPU at 2.0 to 2.4 GHz.

However, in a lot of systems the CPU is soldered to the board, mostly laptops. There is little one can do here. But in NetBooks using the Intel Atom CPU, there is some hope; like the Raspberry Pi, the clock is software switchable though this is not "advertised" to the outside public world. Thus you can take a 1.6GHz NetBook and boost it up to 1.86GHz or if you got the balls - to 2.1GHz.

The problems with this, like on the Raspberry Pi and other Pi Systems, is that the system gets very hot. And since laptops run on batteries most of the time, the batteries run down faster. So though this is a software mod, some hardware mod is needed to make it go better: clean out the cooling fan inside the NetBook, if you can, remove the CPU Heat Sink and clean the heatsink good off it and replace it with a dab of "Silver Arctic" Heat Sink paste. And check and replace your (Slow) RAM. If your RAM is Slow, it will drag down the system, so replacing it with faster RAM will speed things up. But this is only if your system has a taken a large speed jump (see below).

This is a working Hack, a hack that works but you need to know your stuff: What system, what CPU, etc. This video only shows the Atom 450 CPU but it applies to other Atom CPUs as well.  And like the video says, takes it a bit at a time. Ramping it up all at once to get the high speed may not work on some machines, so try out the lower faster settings first and see what the machine can handle.

This mod is software based (like on the R-Pi's). And you can change it back. You need to download some software that adjusts both the CPU Clock and the Data Bus Clock Speed, and then play with the settings of the CPU to see what works with it. Intel says that the Atom can handle the higher speeds but that depends on how the system can remove the heat.

All the instructions are in the video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYP285X0iEM

View Profile   IP Logged
Hondo I. Sackett
YaBB Administrator
Behind you!

Re: Overclocking the Intel Atom Processor.
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2016, 11:18pm

cool. dont have anything that runs that but ifin I get one I'll keep this in mind

Well the cowboy, like the red man, you had to leave your land
You can't raise your stock and plant your crop in the gumbo and the sand
Greed disguised as progress has put us to the test
They won't be glad until we're gone from our home out in the west
It's sad to see those good old days replaced with greed and doubt
Soon we'll leave the country, the campfire has gone out
Bid 'em all adieu, you can't turn the world about
The cowboy left the country, the campfire has gone out
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2016, 11:36pm

You do - that little laptop I sent you has an Atom CPU in it. But I would not mod that if it is your only netbook, I would get a "junker" from ebay for $20 (needs RAM, HD, ETC...) and build one to hack on.

The one I sent you was one of my Junkers I put together from parts - saw a lot for 6 for $50 and then got RAM and Hard drives for them all, and one of them was sent to you. $9 a piece, that was one of my better Ebay Buys even if I had to get hard drives, and RAM for them (power packs and batteries were included so I really lucked out).

I think the Lenovo S12 unit would be best for this (you have the S10; which both are the same system with some differences, the S12 has a 12in screen and the S10 has a 10in screen). You can find one on ebay as a Junker for $30 or so. Try to get it complete as possible. The S12 and S10 are the same machine except for the screen, keyboard and case size. The problem is that the S12 is a tricky machine to open up and replace the hard drive and one of the two RAM Modules on. I have an S12 with 2GB of RAM, running Windows 7. It's a great machine to work on but a lot of times I need the tiny compact size of the S10. BTW - they use the same battery and power pack.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hondo I. Sackett
YaBB Administrator
Behind you!

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2016, 10:26am

Oh,  OK.  I'll keep a look out for an s12. Didn't realize that had the atom.

Well the cowboy, like the red man, you had to leave your land
You can't raise your stock and plant your crop in the gumbo and the sand
Greed disguised as progress has put us to the test
They won't be glad until we're gone from our home out in the west
It's sad to see those good old days replaced with greed and doubt
Soon we'll leave the country, the campfire has gone out
Bid 'em all adieu, you can't turn the world about
The cowboy left the country, the campfire has gone out
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2016, 11:46am

Ebay Seller sfgoodwillrecompute (San Francisco, Cal. Good Will Thrift Store) has one beauty condition but its a bidding war starting at $10 with no bids (yet) and 5 days left. Its in remarkable condition and has everything but no Powerpack and the hard drive has been erased. I can make a USB Thumb Drive Win 7 Install Disk (Made one for mine and lent it out only to have it "Disappear". You know how that goes.) The Powerpack from the S10 works on the S12. It looks like it has the 18 hour battery, which also fits on the S10.

Last year I bought my S12 from them for $12, it was missing the corner hinge cover, which is another $20 for it through another seller- you get 4 pieces of plastic, two for each side. So for now my S12 has that corner exposed. Ha! It does not effect the machine at all. I also bought couple of S10s from them for $10 each outside of the lot bought to give to other friends.

The $13 shipping could be a deal killer. But in dealing with them before, that seems to be their shipping price on everything. At least they do use that $13 for shipping, not like those idiots who charge a high shipping and then send it through econo-mail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-IdeaPad-S12-2959-12-1-Intel-Atom-N270-1-60Ghz-2GB -160GB-Laptop/182275318680

Another S12 I was looking into is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Ideapad-S12-Intel-Atom-N270-1-60GHz-1GB-RAM-Noteb ook-Computer-no-hdd-/361719788168

But a lot is missing on it, it would need the battery, 1 - 1GB DDR2 RAM Stick, a hard drive, the hard drive caddy and the power pack. At $25 it might not be much of a deal as it needs ll those things but at least it turns on and goes to BIOS - which is a good sign. Otherwise it seems to be intact. Plus this guy is charging $15 for shipping. That is just way too much.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1