Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
May 17th, 2024, 5:43am
News: Welcome to the Cabin! If you want to register send me an e-mail. you can link to my e-mail under the welcome page.

Pages: 1
Cheap SSD Upgrades on a Mac Mini? (Read 90 times)
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Cheap SSD Upgrades on a Mac Mini?
Aug 25th, 2022, 11:41pm

I took a friend to Microcenter. His first time there so he went ape-shit kid in a candy store, managing to buy over $1000 worth of tools, parts and things to wire up his house for networking several PCs and Macs in his home. But while I there I picked up a few things, including a $60 laptop (see below for link), and several SSDs they were literally selling for cheap as “Damaged goods.”

Apparently a case of SSDs were dropped in the warehouse and all the SSD packages inside all had a dented corner, but (according to the 3 I bought), that was the extent of the damage. The plastic that held the unit in place held up and protected the device as it was designed too. These were 128GB SSD made by Inland, which is a store brand and makes many things like tools, electronic parts, 3D Printer Filament, etc. I have bought these SSDs before and still use them to these days inside a couple laptops. I bought these to try out on the Mac Minis that I have.

The Mac Minis are Intel Based Core2Dou CPU based units, 2GB of RAM max, and when released has 80GB hard drives in them. I upgraded a couple of them with a 100GB hard drive years ago, and use these units for my 3D Rendering and CAD Programs. Though they run great for this task, once in a while the hard drive chokes and slows down the system with its swapping of files and memory. The system also ran hot at times, even under Sleep Mode.

Issues I had was cloning the Hard Drive to the SSD through a USB Connector as the USB is slow on these Macs compared to a modern PC. Formatting the SSD took an hour to do (I format the drives while Zeroing out all the data on it, which leaves clean sectors and maps out bad areas to be ignored). Cloning the information from the hard drive to the SSD also took another hour due to the slow data speed of the USB), which was only about 45GB of system files, programs and data.

When done, the SSD was switched over to the Mac Mini and though there were a few minor issues with loose connectors and not the drive itself, the Mac Mini turned on normally. It was low to boot and get to desktop. This is a Mac issue as things have to “fall into place” and one has to make some minor adjustments to the preferences. After a few tweaks in the system preferences and a couple of reboots, the Mac Mini booted up in about 30 seconds; when it usually takes 2 or more minutes with the hard drive. Applications load up in a few seconds, especially the program HomeSweethome3D which has to load and activate Java before it can go load and run the program itself. Data files of one of the houses I designed on the program takes about 30 seconds, when it normally took minutes to do. And lastly, grabbing and moving the house/building and moving it about in its constructed universe and view separate layers has no lag or waiting for the hard drive to swap information. With the hard drive there was a momentary lag before things move according to what you tell the program to do.

Finally, the one machine completed (the other two are waiting for their transplants) is running a lot cooler, when it used to run hot. These are similar in the findings when I put CF cards and SSDs into laptops, they ran faster and cooler. These were G4 Macintosh Laptops and PC Laptops: Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads, Toshiba Satellites and Dell Latitudes/Inspirions.

These “Damaged Goods” 128GB SSD sold for $17 a piece instead of their $45 per unit. Thing is these are not sold online. You have to go to the actual store and see if they have any that got damaged and pick them up. I’ll be looking for more of them when I go there. Oddly enough, some are being used as “new” on my store’s website. Maybe they are new, but the ones I got the boxes has damage to one of the corners. See link below.

Inland 128GB SATA SSD at Brooklyn Microcenter: https://www.microcenter.com/product/623040/inland-professional-128gb-ssd-3d-tlc- nand-sata-30-6-gbps-25-inch-7mm-internal-solid-state-drive

$60 Laptop Link: https://www.microcenter.com/product/649971/evolve-iii-maestro-116-laptop-compute r-dark-grey

View Profile   IP Logged
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Re: Cheap SSD Upgrades on a Mac Mini?
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2022, 3:31pm

Cheap SSD Upgrades on a Mac Mini? (Continued...)

Just finished the other two of the five Mac Minis I own. The other two, well, one is a Mac Mini Server. It does not have a CD/DVD Drive but it does have space for 2 hard drives and in it, it has two PNY 500MB SSDs for a 1TB Raid Drive. It has Mac OSX 10.9 Server OS on it, but all the goodies I would have loved have been erased from it, so it is just the bare OS. (BOO!!!). The other is a Mac Mini G4, which was great in its time and it is still useful if you stay within its realm of PPC based software and OS 10.4 and Classic OS so you can run older OS 9 Mac Software. It is limited by its 1GB of RAM limit and its PATA Interface, but it is respectable in speed as it keeps up with the Intel Units rather nicely. Also is has an Nvida Video GPU in it which is a lot faster and better display than the Intel (900/950 variant) GPUs on the Intel Mac Minis which can be rather slow, especially in rendering 3D applications. I will have to find a PATA SDD for the G4, which are out there. KingSpec on Ebay sells them at a respectable price or in the least get a large CF Card and put it in with a CF/IDE Adapter and that will work as well. I just have to find them at 1000X in speed or better with a minimum of 128GB.

Back to the remaining two Mac Mini Intel units... there were no issues mounting them as I had with the first unit. Apparently there are screws missing on the first unit which I will need to find replacements for on some future date. Though one unit had 1GB of RAM instead of 2GB, there was an improvement of speed and operating temperatures. After letting the Macs sort things out on the initial boot, and adjusting various parameters on the system, things booted up fine.

From shutdown to Desktop took a respectable 30 seconds when it used to take minutes on the hard drive. Applications took seconds to load with the longest being SweetHome3D, taking over a minute as it has to load Java system first before loading the application. Data only took a few seconds, with again SweetHome3D taking a minute as it has to load and then render the 3D created construct. But grabbing, moving, making adjustments and other options on can do on it, was instantaneous. No waiting for the Mouse to grab an item or scroll to another area, it went through quickly.

I only gave a few minutes to run and test the SSD on the Macs, and again, it ran cool. Usually with a hard drive, you can feel hot air coming out of the vents and the case getting warm to the touch until it gets hot after a half hour of use.

Speed, and cool operations – two major pluses for putting a cheap SSD into a Mac Mini.

By the way, when I did a “System Profile” on the Mac Minis to see that various items identify as, the SSD gave the information of “INTEL SSD”, “NAND Gate Technology” and a few other things. Though Intel is not one of the best out there (ranking about #5 on various lists out there), I find it interesting that it is from Intel and not made in China, unless it is counterfeited. But overall, I am happy with the results.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hondo I. Sackett
YaBB Administrator
Behind you!

Re: Cheap SSD Upgrades on a Mac Mini?
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2022, 12:23pm

Nice! Always good to see older units revived!

Well the cowboy, like the red man, you had to leave your land
You can't raise your stock and plant your crop in the gumbo and the sand
Greed disguised as progress has put us to the test
They won't be glad until we're gone from our home out in the west
It's sad to see those good old days replaced with greed and doubt
Soon we'll leave the country, the campfire has gone out
Bid 'em all adieu, you can't turn the world about
The cowboy left the country, the campfire has gone out
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1