Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
May 17th, 2024, 3:57am
News: Welcome to the Cabin! If you want to register send me an e-mail. you can link to my e-mail under the welcome page.

Pages: 1
1911 series 80 extra safeties bypass (Read 412 times)
Hondo I. Sackett
YaBB Administrator
Behind you!

1911 series 80 extra safeties bypass
Oct 5th, 2015, 2:43pm

if you know much about 1911 hand guns you will know that the series 70 is your older, yet more popular series and the series 80 as extra safeties that lock out the firing pin so it can't fire unless the trigger is pulled. most competition handguns are series 70 as you get a better trigger pull and it has less moving parts. I found a part to convert the series 80 to a series 70. brownells calls it a "1911 Auto Frame Slot Blank" Stock# 876-011-780. seen a video on youtube about it. will try to post the link later.

Well the cowboy, like the red man, you had to leave your land
You can't raise your stock and plant your crop in the gumbo and the sand
Greed disguised as progress has put us to the test
They won't be glad until we're gone from our home out in the west
It's sad to see those good old days replaced with greed and doubt
Soon we'll leave the country, the campfire has gone out
Bid 'em all adieu, you can't turn the world about
The cowboy left the country, the campfire has gone out
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Re: 1911 series 80 extra safeties bypass
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2015, 8:19pm

Interesting, as in it is the the old argument of the 1911 M1A1 and the 1911 M1A2 (I might be getting the designations wrong, it might be 1911 M1 vs. the 1911 M1A1), where the argument was about the safeties of the weapon. As is, some people at the time were worried about it the palm pressed trigger lock, stating that if the gun as dropped that it would go off. The government tested that by having the gun roll around in a spinning barrel with a dummy load and the hammer cocked back. It rolled in that rest for 4 months, and it went off towards the end of the test when the palm lock got damaged from rolling around in a barrel for so long. None the less, Browning added the extra safeties to the 1911.

To date, there is no report of a 1911 firing when it was dropped.

It would not take much to convert the Model 80 back to  Model 70. Parts were interchangeable between the two, thus there were hybrids floating around WWII and Korean War of the to guns.

Edit: It's the M1911 and the M1911 A1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M1911_and_M1911A1_pistols.JPG

Edit 2: And you're right, these are much later changes made to the gun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol#Civilian_models

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1