Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
May 17th, 2024, 4:33am
News: Welcome to the Cabin! If you want to register send me an e-mail. you can link to my e-mail under the welcome page.

Pages: 1
Win 10 and Win 11 on Older Systems? (Part 1) (Read 57 times)
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Win 10 and Win 11 on Older Systems? (Part 1)
Mar 12th, 2023, 10:59pm

Windows 10 (x86/32bit) can run on a minimum of Dual Core CPU like a Core2Duo with 2GB of RAM but the x64/64bit version requires 4GB of RAM and an i-Series or Multi-Core Xenon CPU, but Windows 11 is a x64/64bit system only and will not run on older systems. In fact many “newer and low cost x64/64bit” systems will not run on Win11. Both have a lot of unnecessary bloat. Really, do you really need Xbox Center on your PC? No you don’t! Do Not THINK That You Do!!!

Other built-in apps in Win 10 and Win 11 are unnecessary and the system can run faster if they were not in the way. The question lays in will either system run on an older PC System with 1GB of RAM or less? This leads to can Win11 run on a “cheap modern x64/64bit” system when it otherwise won’t?

For the past few months I keep seeing videos on “Use this command to de-bloat Windows!” and “Download this script I wrote to de-bloat Windows!” The problem with these “Solutions” is that a full version of Windows has to be on the system before one can use these options to remove the bloat. Installing a full version of Windows is not an option for many.

Just recently I have been hearing about “Tiny Windows”, a version of Windows 10 and 11 where a lot of the bloated applications have been removed, and it installs a basic version of Windows. The .iso installations files are less than 4GB in size, and install a Windows system of 2GB to 6GB in size on the hard drive. The best thing, they are capable of running on 2GB of RAM or less and on an x86/32bit system like a CoreDuo and the P4. There are rumors floating about a Win10 and Win11 system running on a PIII with 256MB of RAM.

I decided to look for these two “Tiny” systems, running into a sea of dead links and false or deal Google searches. It is obvious to me that Microsoft does not want anyone to have access to these files and having Windows running on “old”, “poor” and “cheap” machines. But I managed to find some of these files for both x86 (32bit) and x64 (64bit) systems.

According to the instructions I found among the dead links is to use a Windows machine and the program Rufus to burn the ISO file to a USB Drive. I also found that even though the files are less than 8GB in size, it is recommended that one uses a 16GB or larger USB Drive. (Note: one of the files for the x86/32bit version is slightly larger than 2GB! It would easily fit into a 4GB thumb drive!) And I have found that using ‘SDFormatter’ to partition and format the USB Drive and ‘Win32DiskImager’ to burn the file to the drive provides a better outcome for creating a bootable thumb drive over using Rufus.

First and current attempt to do this was semi successful. Installing Tiny Win10 x86 on a Dell 1525 laptop with a Pentium D (Pentium Dual Core CPU, which is also an x64 CPU) at 1.6GHz, 2GB of RAM and a 128GB SATA SSD was successful. Getting there was the issue. Here’s why.

1) Though Win32DiskImager works on older systems, it does not run on Win10 at all.

2) Rufus burned the initial thumb drive under UEFI standards; UEFI is for newer i-Series systems. UEFI does not work under older x64 systems like Core2Dou/Core2Quad, Pentium D, and Multi-Core Atom CPUs. Thus when the first booting the thumb drive formatted under UEFI on the older system, a warning window opens saying that booting under this format is not possible, to try formatting under MBR.

3) Formatting the thumb drive under MBR through Rufus and reburning Tiny Win10 on it worked very well and I was able to install Windows 10 on the older the Dell 1525 laptop.

As for Windows 10 running on an older laptop as Tiny Win 10, I found the following. The system takes up about 12GB. But it takes very minimal resources, as it was running as fast as one would expect. It is similar to the same speed as Windows 10 on a tablet I have that was gifted to me by a friend years ago (Thank you Hondo! It is still running, believe it or not!)

This laptop in particular, the Dell 1525, comes in various flavors and CPU differences, from Single Core units to Dual Core CPUs under the CoreDuo Series, with many being upgraded to Core2Dous.There were a few Pentium Ds and Atom Dual Cores, which this laptop I have is a Pentium D. The Pentium D is a bit of an oddball, which I thought would be 32Bit but I found out it is 64Bit. It has two actual Pentium 4 CPUs modified to be on a single die but they are separated by a tiny gap and wiring in between them. It is the first of Intel’s Multi-core CPUs until the CoreDuo where they merged the two CPUs into one Silicone Block and all other CPU Designs after that followed. The Dell 1525 series was made around 2005 to 2010, with Vista being its starting OS. Mine seems to have been made in 2008 according it its BIOS Date.

As for its performance under Tiny Win10, I am rather impressed, though I have to say that this was a pretty blank system, and it will improve once the proper drivers are loaded into the system, instead of the generic drivers that it is running now. It may even free up more resources. But that is all I can say about it. This is a very stripped down version of Windows – there is no applications or software outside of the basic system apps. Even Internet Explorer has been removed from the system. Further testing is in order as proper drivers are found and installed, and applications added. But as is it seems to run well to be useful on such an old system. I am not expecting to be playing fast 3D rendering FPS games on it, but to do basic student and office/business work, this is more than enough.

Next test is since the Pentium D is a 64Bit/x64 is to install the 64bit version of the of Tiny Win10 on it.

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2023, 4:14pm by Fernando »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Win 10 and Win 11 on Older Systems? (Part 2)
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2023, 4:55pm

Continuing on the saga of Windows 10 and 11 on an older system, the question is “Can Win 10 or Win 11 run on an older system?” Many have tried with varying degrees of success.

This being part two, I got the Dell 1525 off the shelf and turned it on. “Lo and Behold!” it booted up with the x86/32Bit Tiny Windows 10 with one very annoying issue: “Please Register This Version of Windows” printed on the bottom of the screen! LOL!!!

Otherwise, it runs fine. I managed to find another empty 16GB thumb drive to burn the Tiny Win10 x64 onto it. Used MBR Format option instead of UEFI, and I created a Tiny Win10 on the thumb drive. For much of the day I have been downloading the drivers’ software from Dell and it has been a long slow task doing so. So I decided to install the x64 version on Tiny Win10 onto the Dell1525 without the drivers like I did with the x86 version on the day before.

Same results – it installed with no problems. In fact the installation was a bit faster than before. Upon completion and reboot, the system booted up fine! The initial boot took a bit long, as it always does as the system tried to shuffle things about to get into a proper fitting, but all subsequent reboot happens very quickly.

Things that I found:

On the x86 version, the system took up 12GB of space. The x64 version takes up 8GB of space! Even more stranger – the x86/32bit iso file is 1.6GB in size, while the x64 iso file is 2.6GB in size!

The x64 version takes up a bit fewer resources than does the x86, and because of that is a bit faster. Like for example – moving the cursor on the track pad and clicking things, I find that there is a slight delay with the x86 version, but not with the x64 version. I can only speculate that it has something to do with shifting resources in RAM and in the hard drive under x86 than not with the x64. According to the Task Manager, RAM usage on the x64 is only about 400MB, compared to 500MB with the x86. And CPU Usage is about 12 Percent or less with the x64, while the x32 is about 14 Percent or less.

Oddly, Microsoft Edge was installed on the x64 version, but neither Internet Explorer nor Microsoft Edge were not installed on the x86 version. And the two games Minesweeper or Solitaire were not installed on the x64 but were installed in the x86.

All in all, it has been a strange success with Tiny Win10 on this Dell 1525 Laptop. The next step is to stall the system drivers from Dell onto it, and to show it off to the teacher as he stated that “in his experience” trying to get Windows 10 onto a System with 2GB of RAM is impossible. After showing it off, I will hand him a USB Thumb Drive with Tiny Win 10 on it...

If some major world disaster happened after this, then you will know why.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hondo I. Sackett
YaBB Administrator
Behind you!

Re: Win 10 and Win 11 on Older Systems? (Part 1)
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2023, 3:44pm

Great info! Thanks! Keep us informed on this. Interested on how well it works.  

~Hondo

Well the cowboy, like the red man, you had to leave your land
You can't raise your stock and plant your crop in the gumbo and the sand
Greed disguised as progress has put us to the test
They won't be glad until we're gone from our home out in the west
It's sad to see those good old days replaced with greed and doubt
Soon we'll leave the country, the campfire has gone out
Bid 'em all adieu, you can't turn the world about
The cowboy left the country, the campfire has gone out
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Fernando
YaBB Administrator
NY City

Re: Win 10 and Win 11 on Older Systems? (Part 3)
Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2023, 11:11pm

Let’s say there is some truth to the term “Dell Hell.” I managed to get the drivers to the Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. Much of them had issues with some error saying “This driver needs the last disk before it can be used.” But it is a self-extracting compressed file of all the files required, not a stack of disks. Thus several drivers were rendered useless due to this. Including the Video Driver; but somehow something got installed...

In the few drivers I did install, eventually I had to do a reboot. I could not get around it, I tried but eventually the system rebooted itself. Then it the system went through an “Update” which I did not want to do. It took about 2 hours to complete, and then it booted like before. Under Device manager, a few things were corrected, and somewhere the driver for the Video was installed, an “Intel 950 Video driver” and not “Generic Driver”. But there about 3 system drivers that could not be found or installed and there were a few options that were still on the “Generic Driver” but many more were filled in with a proper or near compatible driver.

Either way, there was a significant speed boost to the system. It still boots quickly and it runs nominally considering this is a 12+ year CPU running at 1.6GHz. My Evolve Maestro III Mini Laptop (made for the Chicago and Detroit School System as a system students take home and connect to school online, later to be sold at Microcenter for $60), though a quad core CPU, runs a little slower that this Dell 1525 laptop!

One of the few things removed was the Start up Screen Pictures and Desktop Picture Images, though the latter can be added with your own images. There are no apps on this on this laptop other than Edge and Firefox, the latter I installed after downloading it.

Success? Perhaps. I am looking finding and installing a few apps, like Photoshop and Office. If I can take them from my current systems and install them on the laptop, it would be great. Until then we will have wait while I find out. As for the files, I have to look at various options, as where I originally found them, I now find dead links.

Also, it is showing that silly “Please register this version of Windows” watermark at the bottom right of the screen and certain options are not able to be used unless the Windows system is registered first.

With all this going on, I’ll call it a success for Windows 10 Tiny. Windows 11 Tiny is next after a few more tests done on Windows 10 and adding apps onto it.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1